10 Dec 2010

'Ask the audience'

Hi folks,

This week I took the opportunity to chat with a chiropractor (Jackie), I've not had the chance to meet a chiropractor before so we got chatting. With us both being passionate about health and well-being our conversation inevitably got more complex.

Through my previous research of muscular-skeletal disorders I had formed the belief that many of the body's issues could be traced back to problems with our foundations - foot function (seeing as everything is stacked vertically on top of our feet, and we don't really look after our feet properly in our culture). After chatting with Jackie I learnt that my theory was often true but more importantly that I was overlooking strong movement pattern imbalances in the upper body that could also 'pull' the spine & pelvis out of alignment to cause pain. 

Two things you may take away with you:

1. I may have introduced those of you who are already body-aware and know a little anatomy to a deeper understanding of our bio mechanics and can apply this thinking to yourselves / your workforce.

2. Everyone can learn valuable lessons from not only swapping ideas with associates within your industry but from those in seemingly unrelated industries. This week I have discovered that developing my own lines-of-thinking leads to progress, but sometimes taking the 'blinkers' off and liaising with other professional opinions light up other paths offering a potential for greater progress.

Those of you completing a project or developing an idea, ask yourself "do I work in tunnel vision all the time?" if so then why not try getting a second opinion?

Have a great weekend!

James