With pretty much all the country having glorious sunshine at the moment many of us would rather be off work. But if work sometimes feels dull, remember that being at work doesn’t just pay the bills! Whether we realise it or not, our workplace and type of job serves many other needs that we have healthy human beings:
- It focuses our mind on a task or tests it with multi-tasking
- It gives us a sense of challenge & reward (especially if we enjoy our jobs)
- It gives our lifestyle routine & structure
- It offers a change of environment(s)
- In most cases it provides us with a setting for social interaction, expanding our communication skills & friend-base.
- ..& yes, it’s even scientifically proven to have therapeutic value!
The government have realised that these points above are vital in society and have launched the ‘Fit-note’ as part of the Early return To Work scheme (replacing the sick-note). Basically, if someone is out of work due to illness, retirement, or even if they don’t financially need to work, then many of the 6 key elements start to disappear. This can ultimately lead to forms of depression, low confidence, low quality of life and poor health…..not good eh!
So next time you’re struggling at work, think if it’s ticking these 6 boxes. Similarly, if you’re out of work for whatever reason, try to involve activities in your lifestyle that equally tick the same 6 boxes.
Have an awesome weekend & get the BBQ on!